February 26, 2009

Chair Yoga Case Study ? No More Chronic Neck Pain

Chair Yoga Case Study ? No More Chronic Neck Pain

By Mark Franklin

After teaching chair yoga for several years Liz Franklin can testify that it appropriate for almost anyone, even if they are feeling the effects of aging or have physical limitations. It is not for hard-bodied 20-somethings that can twist themselves into poses that look impossible ? the only prerequisite is that you can sit in a chair, including a wheelchair.

What better way to illustrate how chair yoga has benefited those unable to attend a traditional yoga class than to tell it in their own words?

Hi! I?m Sherri Evert. I?m a 63-year old retired business partner. I began practicing chair yoga in March. I have been practicing yoga for many years. I have issues with my back and found most other classes to be strictly a physical exercise. If I couldn?t achieve the ?perfect pose? I felt as thought I wasn?t doing it right.

I noticed the classes when I was seeing an acupuncturist for arthritis in my neck. I had been in constant pain for some time and was willing to try almost anything to get relief. While acupuncture offered relief, it was only temporary. When I was leaving the acupuncture office one day I noticed a group of smiling women leaving their yoga class. I thought I would feel comfortable with this group as they were close to my age. I wanted to see if my own body could fix the neck pain with help from yoga.

Within 2 months of practicing chair yoga my neck pain was gone. I also had problems with low back pain and had tried numerous options to cure this as well. The relaxation portion of the classes and videos released the pain. I am much more aware of my posture now. In class Liz helps us visualize our bodies in the posture and makes us aware of the benefits. I now use the yoga poses I have learned in class along with the videos as a personal ?tool box? for taking care of my body. I have definitely gained strength in my arms and legs as well.

I truly appreciate the way Liz works so hard to help us achieve a mind/body/spirit connection in her classes. The meditative experience of her classes carries through my day. I try to attend two of her classes each week and use her videos when I can?t be in class in person. I feel as though the class is meditation in motion and I also have enjoyed the sense of community that is part of her class experience. She works to help us be present in the moment. She also lets us know what the benefits of each pose are which helps us understand why we are doing the poses.

If you are thinking about joining a class or purchasing (some) videos be assured that the hour you put in that you didn?t think you had time for will give back multiple benefits including higher energy levels, a calm mind and a peaceful spirit. You will be glad you did this for yourself and the benefits will spill over into your whole circle of family and friends.”

Mark Franklin enjoys telling people about Liz Franklin’s Yoga In Chairs(r) because he knows it is helping people live healthier, happier, and longer lives. If you want to find out about her special style of chair yoga, visit http://www.yogainchairs.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Počítadlo.cz